Kid friendly and low carb, this is a recipe the whole family will love! Serve as a side, or with a salad for a main dish!
Optional – top with cooked, crumbled bacon before serving.
Nutrition info per serving: 336 calories, 29g fat, 3.8g net carbs, 13g protein
Bell Pepper Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 tbs Bell peppers chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
Cream cheese layer:
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- For the topping:
- 3/4 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Bell peppers Diced
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another 6-8 minutes on high (or until cauliflower is tender). Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese, peppers, and garlic powder. Puree until smooth (or you can leave it chunky if you prefer. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 30 seconds to soften. Add the shredded cheese and salsa verde, mixing thoroughly. It should be very spreadable - if not, nuke for a few more seconds.
Assemble the casserole:
- In a medium-sized oven proof dish (approximately 8 x 8), spread out a thick layer of cauliflower puree. Spread the warm cream cheese mixture on top of the puree. Top with a layer of shredded Colby jack cheese, and diced peppers. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. You can finish it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown further if you'd like. Alternatively, microwave on high for about 6 - 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Serve hot.